Friday, May 21, 2010

Strawberry Aloe Vera Marshmallow Cake



This was the belated Mother's day cake for my mum, we celebrated this occasion a week after the actual day due to my busy schedule. When I asked my mum what type of cake does she want, she said anything but prefer to be with fruits. I felt the marshmallow cake that I made for my mil during mother's day was very refreshing, thus I decided to make one for my mum but using strawberries.

We went to eat dim sum again, but the dim sum are so so, quite disappointing cos had set some expectation since this restaurant was recommended in one of the food blog. Worst is the place is not easy to find, my bro took one hour to find the place cos he kept missing it and had to go long way to route back.


I tried to improve the making of this marshmallow cake, however the turned up still not satisfacting.


As the previous attempt, the biscuit base was too soggy so I thought of letting the marshmallow filling to set a bit before I pour onto the biscuit base. After waiting for more than an hr, the marshmallow filling was still quite watery but I dun ve much time as it was midnight then so I just went ahead with it. The cubed strawberries and aloe vera floated to the top when I pour the marshmallow filling in. I will not have an even surface which I might have difficultly when deco with the sliced strawberries, the sliced strawberries will not be able to stick to the marshmallow layer. And also, the top layer will not look nice cos beside seeing the pattern of the sliced strawberries, you will be able to see the cubed fruits as well. Thus I quickly scoped out 1 bowl of the marshmallow filling, refilled again when the 1st layer was set a bit in the fridge. If you look carefully at the 1st photo, you will be able to see some of the cubed fruits between the sliced strawberries.

For the topping, I used tortally jelly crystals which was the brand that my mum always cooked for us when we were young. I still can remember how soft and wobbly the jelly was and it was my favoutite then. However I didn't wait for it to harden enough before I unmould it or probably I didn't warm the outer layer a bit to smoothen the unmoulding. The side of the jelly topping just tore a bit when I remove it from cake tin so the edge of the jelly topping looked so ugly due to the unevenness :(.



I used the original amount of ingredients that stated from Baking Mum for 7" cake tin but dunno why, the marshmallow layer was shorter compared to my previous attempt. Worst is, seem like the jelly topping was too heavy that the marshmallow layer like going to give way. :( If you look at the above photo carefully, you will be able to see the cracking line at the right top corner of the marshmallow layer.

I also dare not remove the cake from the cake tin base cos afraid the biscuit base will break due to sogginess while transferring to the cake board base. Can anyone that made this cake before advise is it the biscuit base will be soggy? Any solution?


The cake was broke into pieces when sliced, this time round even worst that I can't find a decent single slice to take photo at. The cake looked so messy after sliced that it was not presentation at all. I guess unless finding solutions to resolve all my issues, if not I will not make it again for friends unless is for own consumption.

Recipe adapted from Baking Mum.

Base
150 gm digestive & marie biscuits
50 gm melted butter

Crushed digestive biscuits and mix well with melted butter. Press into a 8” tin. Refrigerate for later use.

Marshmallow Filling:
150 gm of marshmallow
300 ml of low-fat fresh milk
200 ml of whipping cream
2 tsp of gelatine powder

Put all the ingredients into a pot. Boil over small fire until gelatine is dissolved.

Jelly Topping:

1/2 pkt of strawberry jelly crystals
250 ml of water

Dissolve jelly in 125ml of hot water. Stir it and when dissolve. mix in another 125ml of cold water.

Assembling the cake:

1. Arrange the cubed strawberries and aloe vera on the biscuit base and pour marshmallow filling.
2. Put in freezer until slightly harden but not totally frozen.
3. Take it out and arrange sliced fresh strawberries. Put it back to freezer to harden a little.
4. When slightly harden take it out and pour the slightly cool or cool Jelly on it.
5. Put in fridge to chill.
6. Cut into small pieces to serve.

Verdict?
The cake was sweeter than my previous longan peach marshmallow cake, not sure is it due to the jelly topping. However the cake still tasted as nice and refreshing with strawberries and aloe vera although the cake was a bit over sweet for me.

10 comments:

  1. I've never tried to make marshallow cake before but when I saw your previous posting I already bookmarked it.
    I think the reason this cake looks soggy is due to too much liquid with little gelatine in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann, probably I will increase the gelatine if I am going to make again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you let the marshmallow filling to set outside of the fridge for 1 hour (the earlier part)?? Gelatin don't set at our room temperature. It melts. You have to chill it if you want it to be thicker. Or maybe whip the whipping cream and add in to the cooled marshmallow milk mixture.That will definately give it more volume and a thicker consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, I let the marshmallow filling set outside instead of the fridge. Hmmm probably I shd let it set inside the fridge for awhile before pouring onto the biscuit base. Thanks for enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look so beautiful and refreshing !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad it didn't turn out well. But it still looks yummy before cutting =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pigpig corner, ya so upset lei but the taste is stil gd despite the outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I think a secret to keeping the base of tarts crispy after a pastry cream filling is added is to brush a layer of melted chocolate onto the base. Can't say I've tried it but I'm wondering if you melted some chocolate then brushed it over the biscuit base, put it in frideg to set before pouring the marshmallow base would the chocolate solve the soggy base problem?

    Just an idea! :0)

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks PlumLeaf for your suggestion, probably I will use your idea next time if I am going to make this cake again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails