Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Non Bake Blueberry Cheesecake
For the whole month of February, I didn't do any baking, my energy level is super super low that I just wanna rest on bed or sofa doing nothing, not even read books or watching TV program. I wanted to give some support to Ellena of Cuisine Paradise since she is hosting Aspiring Bakers for February, however is just seem 有心无力 (have the heart but no strength to do it).
Although how restless am I, I know I can't excuse myself for not making birthday cake for my mum which her birthday is 10 days after mine :). So I decided to make a simple cake for her, non bake version that easy for me to manage. Although I do not have a heart shape cake pan, I decided that I can do a simple heart shape deco to show some support to Ellena.
My initial plan was making a non bake green tea cheesecake, however after adding the green tea powder in a small portion of batter, I tasted it and found that the green tea taste is very very mild, almost can't taste it and tasted bitter, not nice at all. Cracking my head, looking for the stock that I have and I found 1 can of blueberry pie filling that I bought sometimes ago. So plan changed, I decided to change the cheesecake flavour to blueberry :).
I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #4 : Love In The Air (Feb 2011) hosted by Ellena of Cuisine Paradise.
Recipe modified from 我爱乳酪蛋糕 by 福田淳子.
100 gm Digestive Biscuits - crushed with roller
40 gm melted butter
Mix them together and press into an 7" springform tin. Chill it.
Cream Cheese Filling:
250 gm cream cheese
50 gm Icing sugar
50g yogurt (I replaced by sour cream)
1/2 lemon, squeeze out juice (I dun have lemon so I replaced by 1/2 tsp vinegar)
200 ml whipped cream - whipped till medium peak
1 tbsp gelatine powder + 70 gm water
250g blueberry pie filling + 20g water (blend into puree)
1. Measure water into a bowl and sprinkle in the gelatin (without stirring with a spoon). Set aside to allow the gelatin grains to swell (10 mins) before setting the bowl over a pot of simmering hot water. Stir with a spoon and once the gelatin melts, remove the bowl from the pot and set aside to cool to room temperature)
2. Beat cream cheese with icing sugar till well combined.
3. Add in fresh milk and mix till well combined. Add in gelatine mixture and mix well.
4. Fold in whipped cream and divide mixture into 2 portions.
5. Fold in blueberry puree and mix well.
6. Put into the fridge to let it set for 2 to 3 hours.
Topping: Adapted from HHB.
1.5 tsp gelatin powder
60ml Ribena blackcurrant juice cordial
1. Measure water into a bowl and sprinkle in the gelatin. Set aside to allow the gelatin grains to swell (10 mins) before setting the bowl over a pot of simmering hot water. Stir with a spoon and once the gelatin melts, remove bowl from the pot and stir in 60ml of Ribena. Set aside to cool.
2. When completely cooled, pour mixture over the cheesecake slowly and freeze for several hours or overnight until set.
This cake is light cheesy and refreshing, tasted so much like ice cream since I freezed the cake, everyone given thumbs up.