This cake was baked for dear daughter's birthday which was at last year December, it was the 1st cake that I baked since my pregnancy. Dear daughter requested for angry bird chocolate cake and must be round in shape. Since I have rested for nearly a year of no baking, I did not want to take risk to bake a "complicated" cake. After much surfing and approved by dear daughter, I went ahead for this chocolate idiot cake, a super easy cake that anyone can do a good job.
Dear daughter requested for a red angry bird but I was not able to get the wilton red coloring as it ran out of stock. She was rather disappointed but no choice and changed to yellow bird instead. I didn't do a good job on decorating, the cake dun really look like angry bird but luckily still able to please dear daughter and she was very happy.
Dear husband also DIY an angry bird pinatas for her too.
Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz, Ready for Dessert.
Ingredients : for 7" round cake pan
225g chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Valrhona 66%)
4 eggs (medium size)
1. Preheat the oven at 175C.
2. Grease a 7" round cake pan and dust it with cocoa powder. Wrap the outer layer of cake pan with aluminum foil, the aluminium foil must cover all the way up to the upper rim.
3. Melt the chocolate and butter in double boiler or in microwave.
4. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl, then pour in the melted chocolate and mix well.
5. Pour the batter into the cake pan and cover the top of the pan with aluminium foil.
6. Bake in water bath for 1 hr and 15 mins. The cake is done when it feels just set like quivering chocolate pudding. If you gently touch the center, your finger tip wwill show clean.
7. Lift the cake pan from water bath and remove the foil. Let the cake cool completely on a rack.
This is a very rich and silkiest chocolate cake. Simple ingredients, idiot proof steps but yield fantastic and delicious cake. Adults enjoyed the cake so much but too rich for children that they can finished only 1/2 of it. So just cut a thin slice to serve.