I am not sure is it many people like me, cannot resist colorful bakes. I really love bakes with many colors, cannot take my eyes of it lol. Yes, I do understanding too much coloring is not good for our body so I didn't do it frequent. I reckon once for a while to indulge my eyes with such beautiful bakes should be alright :P. Perhaps I should explore in using natural coloring so that I can make more rainbow cakes heeheehee...
This recipe was bookmarked long time ago but I have not got a chance to bake it, too many recipes with so little time lol. I was craving for butter cake so decided I must try this recipe.However I do not want an usual butter cake so I added in some coloring and dust with cocoa powder in between the layers.
Recipe adapted from Do What I Like.
225g golden churn butter (I used other brand since I wanna clear stock)
1 1/2 tbsp corn oil / olive oil (I used olive oil)
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 small eggs
210g cake flour
60g corn starch
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 - 5 tbsp whipping cream / milk (I used 4 tbsp milk)
3 different coloring
Some cocoa powder
1. Mix cake flour, corn starch and baking powder together. Sieve twice into a large mixing bowl.
2. Cream butter, oil, sugar, vanilla and salt till pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs one at time, beat well after each addition.
4. Add in the flour mixture and mix at low speed till well blended. (I used hand to fold)
5. Stir in the whipping cream or milk.
5. Divide the batter into 3 portions, stir in each color into each portion and mix well.
6. Pour one portion of batter into a lined pan, dust some cocoa powder on top and cover the batter.
7. Pour another portion of batter on top and dust some cocoa powder on top and cover the batter.
8. Pour the last portion of batter on top and level and bake at 180C for 35 - 45 minutes or till cooked. (I baked 35 mins still not totally done yet but over baked for additional 10 mins so 40 mins should be the right baking time.)
After 10 - 12 minutes in the oven, remove it and make a length-wise cut on the surface of the batter with a knife so that the cake will "explode" nicely with a neat line in the middle. (I didn't do it cos I missed out this part)
For best result use golden churn butter and whipping cream.
As I have over baked the cake so it tasted a bit dry, however I still think the cake tasted good, at least I finished one thick slice of cake and still wanted to have another slice. The sweetness of cake is just nice, it will taste a bit bitter when bite into the chocolate lining. So for people who prefer more sweet or have sweet tooth, must increase the amount of sugar.